Trial: right to trial by jury
1. General: right to a jury trial attaches when A tried for offense where maximum authorized punishment exceeds 6 months
2. Contempt: no right in civil; in criminal, right to jury if cumulative penalties greater than 6 months are imposed; summarily imposed contempt can exceed 6 months punishment without jury; up to 5 yrs probation without jury as long as active sentence if revoked is not more than 6 months
3. Number and unanimity of jurors: at least 6 jurors required; unanimity required for 6 people; 10-2 and 9-3 have been approved for 12 people
4. Right to venire selected from representative cross-section of community: must show under-representation of a distinct and numerically significant group in the venire
5. Peremptory challenges: using for race and gender discrimination is unconstitutional
We have located some similar legal questions and legal question categories. Check out these challenging questions that askquestions about Jury Trials and are similar to what is Trial: right to trial by jury?. Also, we have included a list of some of our more popular legal question categories. These categories are based on what everyone is asking and answering.